Sunday, July 13, 2008

This post brought to you by the letter "E"

I was taught that efficiency is doing things right, and effectiveness is doing the right thing. What I just learned, however, is that efficiency is clean, and effectiveness can be quite messy. I learned this watching the Cadets rehearse last week.

The rehearsal, in the rain, was controlled chaos. And having been on tour with corps in the past, I can tell you that any drum corps moving down the road is. It wasn't "efficient", and inefficient is expensive. But in the end, in the art form we call drum corps, will sticking to the efficient at the expense of the effective elevate the corps? (How many "e" words was that?!)

I read in the Saturday/Sunday edition of the Wall Street Journal two other e-words used to describe movies (particularly "Wall*E"): entertaining, and enthralling. Some of this may apply to this weekend's results as well, with the "upset" win (if you can call what I think is an earned win an "upset") of Carolina Crown over the Cadets.

Certainly the Cadets are not without controversy. I think that comes with being on the leading edge of the activity. Looking over shows from 1980 to the present in the All Access feature of their website, they have not so much as pushed the drum corps activity than pulled it along. I always loved the long left behind slogan of "Tradition:Innovation" (and the upward G arrow logo from the Garfield days)!

Carolina Crown, on the other hand, is playing it (somewhat) safe - familiar tunes, but done very, very well. I haven't seen (but have heard!) the show, admittedly, but I wonder how this year's efficient entertainment compare to last year's "Triple Crown", which was to me effective enthrallment? Maybe not, but at this point the judges and the fans are saying it beats effective entertainment (or non-entertainment, if you feel that way about narration!). Certainly, though, the two leading corps seem to be producing what they generally do: effective enthrallment!

It is certainly a new matrix for back-of-the-envelope judging. Maybe now my "how hard is it to do what they did" and "how well did they do it" needs to be adapted.

I am looking forward to seeing how this next week shakes out as the corps converge on my birth-town, San Antonio. I am eager to see them in Murfreesboro! This year may bring some excitement after all!

No comments: