Sunday, July 6, 2008

... and the Pursuit of Happiness

It's July 4th (or Independence Day) weekend, and the Cadets stopped by Maryland today in their pursuit of happiness. I pursued some happiness, too, I guess - I went to watch ensemble rehearsal (in the rain*). I marvel at the specialness of those ordinary young men and women who dedicate hours to perfecting "something".

After watching, I am eager to see the result of the work I witnessed. It was messy work**, I hope that readers can appreciate that working for something makes achieving it so much better.

Sometimes things seem to be so easy that we just "phone it in." Maybe some can do that and be successful. I don't know, though. Where is the satisfaction in that? Is that the pursuit of happiness, no matter what we do? We tend to phone in so much - parenting, voting, working, relationships.

The ensemble was not a full run though, but I got a nice appreciation for what they are attempting to do. I look forward to seeing what comes from this pursuit.

P.S. Hey, Hoppy ... the Zone was a few years ago ... ;)

Audio sampling

"My corps" did phone it in last night, though. Well, kind of! My neighbor is in the Jersey Surf, and his Mom called me as Carolina Crown took the field so I could listen. Technology is great, but limited, yet it was nice to get my first listen of the competitive season.

I had been told that the show was good but "something" was missing, and listening as best as a I could I noticed it, too. I think it is the familiarity ... we are imposing something on the show that isn't there or isn't meant to be there. It's still early, however ... way early.

* Overheard: "How is life on the road?" "It's been good. Just wet. Everywhere."
** Watch for a future post on an insight on efficiency and effectiveness.

No comments: