Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finally - Friday Night Lights! (A Review of the DCI Masters in Murfreesboro)

This week it was Friday Night Lights at the DCI Masters in Murfreesboro, Tennessee!

This is my first actual show of the season, and my first chance to attend this "Top 8" event. And, for the first time in this blog, I'll publish a Review that I have given to friends via e-mail. This will be fun, too, as I include comments by my oldest son, who offers his perspective as a (near) 16 year old band member. I call him "MP" as in Mellophone Player!

There are a lot of good seats in this venue. We sat in Club level seats, but if I had to do it again I’d come down to section RR, between rows 15-20. That is just high enough to see, but just close enough for impact.

Performing first were the Blue Knights. MP noticed three drum majors. I noticed – the “band”. The performance was … good. There were nice BK/Ron Nelson licks with the signature silks ("Amazing Grace" was nice and colorful) and some well-done drill, but to me the design was a guard show with horns. MP said 8th, and as did I with an 86-87. That was generous. The judges gave an 84.400.

After this show I corrected MP’s slip of the purist tongue when he called BK a band. He has been to shows before, but really this was the first time I think he was being discerning. I said, however, that it was my opinion that he had seen “A good band, but not a good corps.” “How so?” he asked. “Just keep watching.” We didn’t have to wait long.

Santa Clara Vanguard brought “3hree: Mind, Body and Soul” to the field. The concept was well integrated and executed, musically and visually. Opening with challenging music and drill and some cool visual tricks with the uniform (mind), they phased into a more aggressive segment with a lot of kinetic movement (body) and then closed with driving yet emotional music (soul). MP got the difference in design and execution.

I had not seen SCV in a while, and it was cool to explain some of the traditions that link the shows. MP’s favorite show he has marched is “Phantom of the Opera”, and we saw traditions connecting 2008 with 1988. I said 5th with a 91 (.3!), and MP said 6th. The judges did not share our view – 7th with 87.475.

The Bluecoats neatly integrated their show into the warm up and Brandt Crocker’s introduction. But they didn’t’ deliver "The Knockout" they were hoping for, because part way through a show heavily dependent on narration, the sound system failed, exposing a weakness in a show that could no longer carry under its own musical and visual power. A single engine fly-over during the choral voices didn’t help. MP commented on the battery’s (particularly the bass drums) integration into the visual boxing ring, saying, “I thought that was unique.” We said 7th, but the judges said 6th, scoring 88.200 (to my 90).

Unlike SCV’s thematic execution, this Blue (the only one missing tonight was the Stars!) made you focus too much on the boxer, afraid you would miss something, with the end result being that you probably did anyway. By contrast, you keep looking all over the field to see how SCV brings 3hree to you in a new way. I guess that’s my “GE” bias showing; I’m sure the technical aspects are showing up in the recap.

I saw the Cadets practice live, and was looking forward to the performance. However, this seemed "off" from what I had watched earlier this month (see July 6th post). Extensive rewrites were apparent as the script, music, visuals and colors seemed disconnected right from the start. Mr. Crocker even seemed confused (as opposed to when he introduced the Bluecoats) and I think the audience felt the same throughout the first half of the show. By the time the corps clicked (“snapped?!”) into gear with the “Wall Street” section the audience had changed from WCDT to another station, reflected in the flat reaction at the end. The wink was a nice addition, but I almost missed it as there were two focal points. Are the Cadets trying to do too much? I don’t think so. But they have to sort out what they are trying to do. I said 6th with 91, MP 5th. The judges about agreed; 5th with a 90.825.

I really anticipated the Phantom Regiment’s "Spartacus" (see May 7) and I was not disappointed! Sometimes we are let down when something we remember nostalgically (1982, my first show ever) is not relived. Phantom didn’t try to recreate so much as reinvent the show. The design innovations of the last 25 years were clear, and I sense more (color?!) is coming in the next two weeks. This show has not peaked!

MP really got into the show, seeing the difference in design and execution. “I am Spartacus!” he shouted! So did I, and we agreed on a 4th place and 92. The judges, it turned out, said 3rd with a 93.200.

And if they were third, and that means Carolina Crown was 4th. But having been there at the start of the corps 19 years ago, they are always first in my heart! When I heard the on the phone show (see July 6th) I could not quite see where the visual would be going. Now, with the total package, it was just a lot of fun – a classic with a nice twist!

But, okay, maybe fun like cotton candy. Tastes great, associated with nice memories, but not really filling. Regardless, the fans ate it up like, well, cotton candy. MP and I talked about how they followed the classic emotional ride: start and build, slow a bit (the brass choir in the "Clair de Lune" classic with a "West Side Story" twist was angelic and crystal clear), then push on to an “up” finish. I said 3rd with a 92.5, MP said 2nd, and the judges said 4th at 92.625. I didn’t think Phantom Regiment had caught them tonight, but I won’t disagree with the placement.

But, when fans down front unrolled big banner with the words “Oh Yeah Baby!” you had to agree. MP, biased toward all things Carolina, especially this corps, said “I definitely loved it! I loved the way they incorporated 'Finis' into everything they do, such as the ripples where everyone was doing the same thing until it got to the end, where they do something just a bit different!” Yup. He's catching on.

The "Green Machine" took an abstract concept and made it work. It wasn’t a distinct story but a clear theme, Samauri, and was very engaging. I found the audio effects fascinating, but MP said, “The best part was the drill, with the body work and the jumping. I can’t wait to see them again!” I didn't quite feel the same way, but I still said 2nd with a 93.5. MP said 1st, and the judges put the second place score at 93.275, a sliver above.

If I say a show was “conventional yet unique” you’d probably say, “That’s absurd!” That’s the Blue Devils, with their absurdity show. Again, an abstract concept well executed, with visual “sparks” throughout. “I don’t know,” said MP, “I liked the guard and the sticks.” But during the performance he whispered a thought to me that showed me his appreciation of how the corps uses the “sound of silence”.

At the end, before the scores were announced, MP said that we should rank the corps that really got people out of their seats. That was great way to think about the show! I said Phantom Regiment, SCV, Carolina Crown and the Cavaliers. MP agreed with 1 and 4, but thought Crown was above Vanguard. (What a homer!)

... ...

We get to see six of the top 12 again in a few days in West Chester, and I will offer thoughts on that show as well as my final live-in-the-stadium event of 2008, Westminister. Is this what was meant by, "Go west, young man!" I hope so!

Hey, but if you haven't been able to get to a show yet, never fear! Click on the link below! And if you don't get to that, never fear. It will be reviewed too!



No comments: