Monday, July 28, 2008

Letter from - and to - Home

I've been some hard thinking about organizations over the last week. I'm drafting a post now, but I had to put this up today. The title is from the middle piece of the Cadets 1991 show. That song gets me all emotional, sometimes nearly making me cry. (Friends tell me they cried throughout the entire show, but I think it was for different reasons!)

After I had been blogging a bit, I came across a book called "The Last Lecture" by a computer science professor named Randy Pausch. Don't be deceived - the title may sound depressing, but the book is really upbeat! When Randy found out he had pancreatic cancer, he re-focused his life, moved his family, geared up for the fight, but still found time to return to Carnegie Mellon University to give the traditional last lecture, the original source of the book.

If you don't know about it, stop reading after this paragraph and come back later ... after you take about 75 minutes to view this video.

----- ----- -----

This morning I will climb on an airplane for a quick trip to the Big Easy. I fully expect Southwest Airlines to bring me home tonight, so I'm not about to get weepy. But I do need to say, to my family at home (and not at home) ... I am on the plane today to do something I do pretty well with the hope of being able to help you pursue your dreams.

Family is so, so important. It's all that's left where there is nothing but Bones (right, Crossmen and Alumni?). When things are turbulent in your life, as this last week was for me, family keeps you going.

This is a mid-season thank you drum corps families, too, for what you are doing for your kids. I would talk about it during my time with Carolina Crown, but I haven't lived the experience of turning your kids over to a group for 2-3 months (3 weeks was about it for us!) and holding your breath every night as they move about the country. And you paid for the privilege!

And this is a pre-season thank you band families. Our band director has this right: this is the last 4 years you get to spend with your kid. These are neat years in their growth and development, so you better make it count, because you will never, ever, get it that time back.

I was thinking about the irony here. How often has music been a generational divisor at home? "Turn that down!" "How can you listen to that junk?!"

But then there is band and drum corps. This is the music that brings generations together. And that just just way too cool ...

----- ----- -----

Randy Pausch died late last week. He didn't get to see his kids achieve their childhood dreams. But he definitely laid the groundwork for that. I'm going to keep trying to do that myself. Maybe you should do so, too.

No comments: