Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Loss

In Blast!, there is a beautiful piece named Loss that captures for me the emotions felt when you remember someone (or even some experience) you treasured but no longer have. As I dug through my programs related to the last post, I stumbled across one for a show* that I remember clearly.

It was wickedly hot, but I still drove down to that little town and sat in the stand and took away memories. This show in particular I remember this because of the lowest score I've ever seen (by a small corps judged on a big scoresheet), the corps I could have been on the field with (and my best friend was), pews on the field, and a (perceptively) first class tractor trailer.

All the corps from that night are gone now, but I have not forgotten. It is a loss. Drum corps season must be near again, because memories are flooding back.

* Battle of the Bugles
Tuesday, July 19, 1983, 7:30 p.m.
Yellow Jacket Stadium, Cleburne, TX
Argonne Rebels, Great Bend, KS - 13.50
NightHawks, Houston, TX - 29.10
Black Knights, St. Louis, MO - 35.70
Memphis (TN) Blues Brass Band - 41.50
The Pride of Cincinnati (OH) - 41.60
Sky Ryders, Hutchinson, KS - 60.20

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude -

Love the drum corps stuff. I also love the fact that you've linked to my site, which is really cool. Also your taste in drum corps works well *cough* PHANTOM *cough* *cough*

Long story short. Not only do I run the site in the memory of Lone Star, but I have become the de facto historian for Texas drum corps.

Any info you can provide on this subject would be most helpful. A scan of that show program with the Alamo Marksmen would be super great. There are a number of Texas drum corps that people think never existed and the Marksmen were one of them. I would like to change those perceptions.

Any info can be sent to cdchenault@hotmail.com.

Thanks a bunch
SUTA
Opus
PR Contra 89&90
LS Staff 91-95