Sunday, May 4, 2008

Act your age

A shout out to my friend Greg Lowe, DCI Volunteer of the Year. Ever modest (okay, maybe not "ever", but in his reply to me he was) he pointed out that he is merely the 8th member of "Team Cream" to be a DCI Volunteer of the Year.
The 8th?! Let's see. Kevin Smith. Doug Madar. Carol Srdar. Teri Bell. Ray and Mary McCrary. Steve Tant. Wow! And I am honored to know them all. They have collectively poured years and tears into making Carolina Crown the success it is. They are wonderful ...

... adults.

Okay, some may act like kids - and from time to time be a bit childish. But really, overall, they are in it for the kids (although they will be the first to tell you they get a ton of reward from being involved, too). In the end, they grew up, they became adults, and they put their talents back in to not clinging fading memories of old experiences, but into creating new memories and better experiences for someone else.

They are ... adults.

They aren't trying to march one last year (something I still scratch my head over our friends at WGI doing). I remember fighting with some of them over the value of senior corps and alumni corps - something I think we put to rest when we adopted the Carolina Crown Mission Statement*. ("Hey, Madar, I've come to appreciate the place in the world for all-age corps, but what going on what I knew to be senior corps then, I always wondered this: Why don't the put their energy into paying it forward in a successful 'junior' corps?")

Anyway, I had promised to comment on the all age corps. And my comment really is the one above. There are some that I find are great outlets for kids who want to march but aren't able to put the time or money ... or need to develop the chops a bit more ... to march with one of the major league corps.

But a corps like what we saw on screen at the Countdown? Yeah, it warms the cockles of our hearts. But in the end, what is it really? Is it for us, or for them?

Congrats Greg! And Steve! And Ray! ... and Mary! ... and Teri! ... and Carol! ... and Doug! ... and Kevin! ... and the next ones to come!

* To develop lifelong excellence in young people through a superior and challenging performing arts education experience.

No comments: