Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Pro Football Bands -- part 2


Second of January. Second post on being ready for football - which as far as the BCS goes, I am not. (Seeing some of the bands was interesting, but college bands and high school bands are genres apart. But I digress ...)

In addition to NFL Bands, there are NFL Drum Lines! Well, drum line - the Niners Noise, of the San Francisco 49ers.

If you haven't ever seen an indoor drumline, the find a chance nearby and go! It is loud, raucous, and, yes, musical! A few years ago I was lucky enough to be the founding President (and better still, the "namer") of the Carolina Thunder Percussion Ensemble, which placed in the finals of the WGI Indoor Percussion contest each year it existed. I'm a brass guy - in fact, I've often dreamed about a"brass corps" or mini-marching band doing halftime at basketball games - but the creativity I saw each year was astounding. An even smaller field, yet a lot of cool stuff.

With 31 other NFL cities (29 minus the ones with bands), maybe this drum line idea will catch on in time for the 2008 season?! Hey, Cowboys - the cheerleaders are great, the new stadium will be fantastic, but let's add to the excitement!

2 comments:

Curtis said...

Stumbled across your blog from the link you left over in the Halftime Magazine community--you definitely seem to be after my own heart--equal parts sports and band fan. There actually are a few other musical ensembles in the NFL (this is from memory so I may miss a few): The Jacksonville Jaguars field the "D-Line" drumline, Houston Texans have a pep band, the Bears have a drumline that's tied to DCI's Cavaliers, and I believe the Seahawks and/or Broncos have a drumline to name a few.

I'll definitely keep an eye on your blog--I split time between my one at Halftime (LittleDrummrBoy) and my ESPN blog which I often interject Marching stuff into as well (myespn.go.com/ctarver81)

Anonymous said...

I was in Carolina Thunder in 2001 and some jerk stole the video I had of the WGI World Championships in which we performed. Do you have any idea where I might find another copy? I can't find it ANYWHERE!!!

Please email me if you have any idea how I can get my hands on a copy of our performance at finals!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

goddessdrumr@hotmail.com