Monday, October 29, 2007

Bye Bye to Bye Weeks


This weekend is a bye week. Not just for my son’s band, but for my Dallas Cowboys, too. Ugh. But I lucked out! The USSBA was holding their PA/DE State Championships just 45 minutes from my conference in Philadelphia. Some people like to go to conventions to run up great food bills – I went to a band show!

Coatesville is a great venue – turf field – and a great greeting to fans. As far as the bands, here are a few notes …

Whitehall HS had a nice look and a great sound from 25 winds and 7 percussionists. Their New World Symphony was well executed musically and visually, earning them first place in their class. Right behind them was North East HS (MD). What fun! They started the show right from the warm up, setting and keeping the jazz club feel. This was one of my favorite shows of the night, well done and enjoyable not only for the audience but apparently the kids as well.

Methancton HS had some fantastic mallets in the pit. Rustin HS had a great cheering section, probably the best of the night! Great fans make for a great performance.

Hatboro-Horsham HS brought their theme together visually (although I didn’t quite get it musically) as they celebrated transportation – rail, sky and auto. Their marching was well taught and make the visuals sharp.

Dowingtown West HS Whippets get my best mascot name award, and could “whip it good”, especially the percussion! The drum line enjoys playing together!

Easton Area HS (PA) brought "Bond, James Bond" to the field. I heard a judge say this band bought a college band type show to the field; for me it was like watching some of the bigger Texas high school bands when I was growing up. It was retro, but well done! When was the last time you saw twirlers on a competitive band field? The entire band had a great time with fantastic music selections: Bond Theme, Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, the ballad For Your Eyes Only and the driving closer Live & Let Die.

My favorite band of the night was Central Bucks East HS. While the host Coatesville Area HS performed strong, and won the class, the CBE band is one I would definitely want to see again. They were clean and kept pushing through!

Thanks for a great bye week!

No comments: