Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Crowning Achievement

This is a long story and blogs don't do well for long stories. (You can read that here.) But in 1990 a small group of people passionate about drum corps let me join them in what was then a two year old quest toward the start up of a dream: the Carolina Crown Drum & Bugle Corps.

The geek I am, I had written the business plan (as an MBA project, the first time a non-profit had been selected as the subject in the history of that entrepreneurship class) a few years before. They, of course, had lived it, or in some cases just loved it wholeheartedly. And so like any organization, we set off on the journey.

There are innumerable stories of what brought us together, of what sometimes tore us apart, of new people coming in for life or for just the right brief moment, but ultimately this organization gave us all a chance to share a passion with kids and then audiences throughout the country.

We worked hard with no material return. We worked for the kids, and I am sure deep down for the satisfaction of being able to one day stand up and say, "We created that." No, not the shows themselves, or the music - those were vehicles. We created an organization and programs that soon found its way into a few words ...


To develop lifelong excellence in young people through a superior and challenging performing arts education experience.

That "one day" is, I believe, finally here.

On April 24 in theaters across the country, DCI will feature a Countdown of the six recent fan favorites. On this night, Carolina Crown will reach a pinnacle: It will be the final corps shown, the #1 fan favorite in the years 2005-2007.

A former board officer, I haven't been heavily involved in the corps since 2000. But on that night I imagine I am going to be like a proud Dad, because I helped give birth to the best. Aside from my own kids - but including my own career - this always will be one of my proudest achievements.

And you need to see it. Follow the link below.

No comments: