Sunday, March 2, 2008

March 2nd


Or, as I call it,
TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY !!


The book "American Band" (have you read it yet?) may have been about a band from Indiana (home to Bands of America and DCI, I know - my darling beloved is a Hoosier!) but Texas is where band is celebrated! Texas Monthly has done wonderful stories about bands, a Texas band is the current Bands of America Champion (see two posts back), Texas is where I fell in love with band and drum corps, and Texas is where - like a lot of people across the ages - a drum corps scrawled "GTT"* on the door post and is seeking out new and better days. (Will they make it? We don't know. But they will try!)

Band are big! Bandmasters are big! Stadiums are big! Crowds are big!

Although I haven't lived there in nearly 20 years, "You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the boy!"

* GTT ... Gone to Texas!

No comments: