Sunday, November 11, 2007

TOB G3 ACC 2007

Saturday was Severna Park’s final show of the season at the Tournament of Bands Group 3 Atlantic Coast Championships. I was very proud of the band and their last performance of The Phantom of the Opera. The little additions since I last saw them made a difference, I think ... the staging with the tarp looked great! Of course, I love music of the night ...!

It’s a cool thing to see your kid march – I like watching bands but I found myself watching him. Such as it is! It's a good thing I watched, though; the Jolesch photographer didn’t get him a single time. And I think as much as TOB announced this as their new home, the stadium isn’t right. No concert side restrooms. Astroturf so old it had a sheen. I don't know if this facility is right for this type of event - the students deserve better.

I didn’t stay for the Top 10, but I enjoyed everyone else! Concord (DE) had an Irish theme, but no leprechauns with a 7’ drum major! (OK, maybe not that tall, but tall!) Middletown (DE) did a nice job with Ron Nelson’s magical Sonoran Desert Holiday. South Hagerstown (MD) was pleasing to watch with well known Russian-themed music taking us from revolution to revolution. Elkins (WV) had a Wicked show featuring music from the Broadway hit! I loved the bubbles to start out - they went all over the stadium - but the blow up emerald city and golden Oz was distracting. Bloomsburg (PA) gave us the first robust sound of the evening with a show concept of flight. Lower Dauphin (PA) storm-themed show was a bit confusing to the announcer, but I loved it with use of the huge, angled, window panes. They show was well designed, marched and played and is one I would pay to see again! They became my top ranked show of the night at this point.

JM Bennett (MD) did Humanity and they seemed a bit off from previous viewings. Pennsauken (NJ) titled their show Evolution, but my title for this was “New Spring”. The music was well integrated and the guard was very impressive! Shikellamy (PA) – I love that uniform, especially the hat. Thanks for getting us in a New York State of Mind. Camp Hill (PA) became my new #1 of the night with a great jazz sound and marching program. Parkland (PA) brought the set of five to a pleasant close.

After the break was the last set of five I stayed for. And I’m glad I did! Egg Harbor Township’s (NJ) Canon in D was very well conceived and then performed to the first level of "wow!" The arrangement fit the theme of Deconstruction and Reconstruction. The electric bass was perfectly balanced with the band – making up for a lack of low brass – and the woodwind sound was solid. I’d pay to hear this again, but the excellent marching would make it worth seeing, too. My top band of the night!

Calvert Hall (MD) sent Postcards from New York City, accompanied with a rich sound and a great sax soloist. Urbana (MD) took the concept of the heart – usually reserved for love themes – and make it aggressive. I loved the attitude of adrenaline and heart attack! Old Bridge (NJ) took us on a different scenic tour of NYC, this one via the subway, connecting themes of the city (Harlem Nocturne, Take the A Train, and a hint of others) in the great ride. Mifflinburg (PA) sent me on my way with some favorite selections of one of my all time favorite composers, Leonard Bernstein.

Scores aren’t posted yet – we’ll see what the judges thought!

No comments: