Tuesday, October 20, 2009

||: Dr. Tim :||

Band geeks instantly know the name.

Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser has long done student leadership development programs targeting music students.

I've heard of him for years, but a few weeks ago I got to watch him in action. Whew! He was three hours of nonstop energy mixed with honesty about band student leadership. "Truth or sugar?", he asked the 100 or so kids, who shouted back, "Truth!" We parents (and teachers) should remember that!

I took three pages of notes, some near illegible because of the rapid fire presentation. (No breaks, by the way.)

Professionally I have the opportunity to work with some very smart people who literally hold the lives of others in their hands on a daily basis (and they get at least 12 years of post-high school education needed before their career begins!). But probably the most substantial reason I end up involved with their practice is the (lack of) leadership in the group. The specialty requires tact and teamwork, yet the 12 years of training covers none of that. It's like expecting your first chair talent to be the one to take up the baton, when all they know is their own horn and music!

When I was growing up I got to personally know a few "Dr. Tim" types through my involvement in the Kiwanis International sponsored youth programs, Key Club and Circle K (though which I met my wife!) For about 7 years I heard many of the same messages.

However, leadership takes practice, and repeated messages. That was my takeaway from listening to Dr. Tim. (I try to have at least one takeaway from every seminar or conference!) It is now why more than ever I think the Tarpon Springs HS Band & Orchestra programs may be on to something in their approach.

It has to start early (the first band camp!) and be repeated often. Basics are boring, I am told, but are the foundation of future success.

Repetition in messages. Repetition in practice. (It's call "reps" for a reason, from band to football!). Remember the 10,000 hours message?

I don't know how often they go back to their notes and notebooks, but I hope the students (including my own!) will refer to their workbook often.

Reps.

No comments: