Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"It was 20 years ago today ..."

In June of 1986 I met this particular young nursing student in Indianapolis, Indiana. I tried to be impressive, but despite my efforts she ... stuck around.

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Over the next several weeks we corresponded and phoned, but that was in the days when long distance was paid by the minute and e-mail didn't exist (at our level, anyway). We met again at a conference in St. Louis ("Meet me in St. Louie, Louie ...") and argued our way through the first day, but ...

Would you believe in a love at first sight,
Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.

What do you see when you turn out the light,

I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.

After that meeting I brought her home, re-introduced her to my Mom and sister, and then said, "I'm have not seen nor heard the results of the DCI World Championships. I'm going to go watch the video. You can sit with them, or sit with me."

Funny thing. She did both. She didn't know what DCI was, but she liked it ... a little bit. I liked that she liked it. And so, a few months later, in late April, I returned to the scene of the crime (where we met), and I asked ...

Do you need anybody,
I need somebody to love.

Could it be anybody

I want somebody to love


She said yes, and we set a date. And so ...

It was twenty years ago today,
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.

Our music has had high and low points. She has been a real Trooper in hanging with me, a Star of Indiana, and a jewel of Carolina Crown (who went on tour in 1992 while pregnant with MP). She's put up with me when I've been a Blue Devil, and helped me when I've been a Blue Star. She's done a great job raising our little Cadets, working hard to make them act like Cavaliers.

But after 20 years, the beat goes on. Happy Anniversary, "Bear".



All lyrics from "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)

No comments: