Monday, August 11, 2008

On the screen, from Bloomington, Indiana ...!

This is a 3 part review of the DCI Championship events.

Thursday, August 7, On the Cinema Screen

I used to be good at estimating attendance, but I think it’s safe to say the theater I was in was about 90% full of drum corps alumni and fans. I complained about the sound last time, and I was worried when the pictures came and the sound did not – or at least the sound that matched the photos. It made for some tense and humorous moments, but all was in order by the time the first corps hit the screen. Some observations of the night:

What’s with the "Summer Music Games" logo? I thought that had been retired. There are too many mixed branding messages out there, and it doesn’t work if you use an old one and then fail to use the new "Marching Music’s Major League" logo and colors. I’ve had long talks with a friend about the marketing efforts. To me, if no one else noticed, we are preaching to the converted, and that audience is getting smaller.

On the plus side, you have to appreciate the humor when we have our own John Madden. We kept waiting for him to telestrate the drill!

Spirit – It was hard to appreciate this show. Most of the problem was the sharp afternoon shadows that were not adjusted to by the cameras. I if this was rapidly discussed in the production booth, the cure never came. It became evident that this problem would continue (to a lesser effect) until the field and the backfield stands (reflecting the sun) were in shadows. As far as the show itself, “4” is not “3”, and the commentators asking us to look for the burgundy guard members was handicapped by the shadows and a lot of high camera that made it hard to pick them out.

Colts – Very nice design and well performed. The baton twirler caught a few audience members off “guard”, but they let it pass. I am a fan of the musical “Song and Dance”, and I like the way the incorporated it into their unique portrayal of New York City.

Madison Scouts – Here’s a tip: if you’re going to show a flash back from the 70s and 80s, use the years they won the DCI championships! After the performance the commentators noted, “The crowd was on their feet!” Well, not in the auditorium. It was a good performance, and it was Madison being Madison. This is one of those boxes corps can end up in, though, when being true to yourself puts you in a design bind. (I noted that in my discussion of the Troopers in Westminster.)

Crossmen – The shadows may be gone, but Bones is still hiding in them. Delucia said half the show lacked “umph”, and my seating neighbor said the show just didn’t grab him or appear powerful. The color I hoped for never emerged. A mixed performance, and as it turns out Madison will squeeze them out of the Top 12.

Glassmen – A nice performance. After years of just not getting the Glassmen, I didn’t feel the urge to run out for popcorn. No major surprises or twists from West Chester. I struck me that with all the balloons they released, they should have attached postcards or something on them to encourage people to go to the cinema tonight! (There's the marketing side of me again.)

Star of Indiana – I mention them because they showed a clip from 1991 when talking about the move to Bloomington. I love Star. I miss Star. But Star has been gone so long that the kids in the audience don’t remember or care.

Blue Stars – This is the new Star (of Indiana, as I hear they rehearse there!). I liked the nice visual sat the end, and of course Delucia was happy they used a real bike! It was better, and it was nice to hear the concept explained, but in the end (to me at least) it was still a nice band show.

Boston Crusaders – Very nice! This show, "Neocosmos", reminded me of their 2000 presentation, when their performance of "Red" (my favorite BAC show!) moved them up three positions from Quarterfinals 7th to Finals 5th. This is a great foundation to build on, and they better re-sign that visual designer before another corps snaps him (or her) up. I am cheering form them to move higher, as I think they down the ability.

It's halftime ... where is the football game?

Blue Knights – What more can be said. My seat neighbor said he doesn’t like high concept shows. I said I don’t mind high concept shows if there is a point to the concept. I’m glad BK is around and has flourished and that they have kids participating. In the end that is what really matters. But as a show, this was my least favorite of the year. The Crusaders should be here.

Bluecoats – In a nutshell, this show really re-energized the crowd! But again, I could not tell if the narration used in Murfreesboro was taken out or “blacked out” by a system failure. This time it was there at the end, but not at the beginning. I wish I could have seen the final product. Nice touch with the boxing uniforms, though!

Santa Clara Vanguard – I liked this show again, and to my neighbor that this is how “high concept” should be executed. The audience will give a lot of leeway if they can follow along, and “3hree” was just wonderfully well done. Band directors (and corps directors) who like high concept should take careful notes.

Cadets – I received a text message a few seconds before the show started to “Watch for a new ending.” There was no new ending. There was an amputation of the previous ending. I texted back: "No no no no no!" Yes, the show was more powerful at the end, but this version just added to the confusion that many complained about with the narration. I liked the narration if the story works. To me the Cadets were almost there ... almost ... and then … sigh. George explained the tortuous process well to the audience, at least. I hope they got it and at least appreciated the attempt.

Carolina Crown – The corps close to my heart just played there own hearts out. Just beautiful sound, well executed visuals, and an inspiration to many. Looking back, they are just focused on doing drum corps as the audience wants it: familiar sounds in a new mix, comfortable visuals with some sparkling delights, and all of it well done. All the “high concept” corps should take note!

Phantom Regiment – I am officially impressed! No, I AM SPARTACUS!! The last half of the show is just utter “wow!” My scribbled notes at the time said if they translate that performance to the first half and sustain it throughout, they will win! And while I love my corps (Carolina Crown), if they cannot win, then this corps is now definately the one that I am pulling for. This may be 3rd or 2nd tonight, but this show can keep going. Will they have enough time is the question.

Cavaliers – How do you argue with the execution (of the show, not the samurai warrior!)? It is clean and powerful but lacks that … well, something. I said it was in 1st tonight, but the other Illinois corps is gaining fast on them.

Blue Devils – In Murfreesboro they were cruising but not coasting. But I think this is going to catch up to them. The top three are very tight. The show is not jazz-boring, but they are playing defense now. I left the cinema wondering if there were just a few Blue Devils tricks up their sleeves, or if they can just hold out for two more days. I actuall put this show in 2nd tonight, maybe 3rd.

Friday, August 8 - On the Computer Screen

I watched snippets here and there throughout the day, hoping Jersey Surf would pull out the upset in Open Class (it turns out that job fell to the Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets), which I predicted to a friend with a bit of hope for the evening show as well!). But it is band camp concert night, so we went and then rushed home for the Top 4, which we watched by hooking up the webcast to the TV. (Definitely an argument for the big screen!)

Carolina Crown – Again, dynamic and fun! It seems they are firmly in 4th, happily and deservedly so. Depending on their return rate in kids and staff, and how they extend the franchise of the past two years, this corps can be in the top 3 or at #1 very, very soon.

Phantom Regiment – Can they eeek out a few extra fractions of a point? I think they can. And when this night is over, so do the judges, putting them in second. Tonight’s show was definitely better than last nights, with the corps settling down a bit and giving us non-stop drama (and so much so that the cameras were used throughout the warm up, with no “commercial break” between corps). The anticipation built from the time the conductor was wheeled on the field, and they just never stopped. Never. Stopped. This is why it is called momentum!

Cavaliers – They continue to execute well, but my small living room audience was not nearly as excited as they were after the Regiment. There just isn’t that much juice to squeeze anymore.

Blue Devils – Don’t look now, but the Illinois corps to worry about isn’t the one from Rosemont, but Rockford.

Saturday, August 9 - Patiently Waiting ...

I – AM SPARTACUS! Congratulations to the 2008 Phantom Regiment on your first sole possession DCI World Championship!!

And to think that I just about called this early on ... (see "Melting My Definant Heart" on May 7)!

No comments: