Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's the stupid economy

I am blessed now with a stable job and - although it is tight - I still have the ability to afford a few things this summer that others cannot ... like band camp fees, tickets to drum corps shows, and gasoline to get there and back. For that I am very grateful.

However, I wonder how tickets are going, I wonder if corps are going, and a lot of this is heartburn caused by gas ... gas being up 33% in one year. I would think not only drum corps, but band booster organizations planning trips are faced with skyrocketing costs.

I write knowing that in some circles things are not going well - tickets are indeed dragging in some places. Weather issues are probably compounding things, especially the floods in the midwest.

So if you read this blog from various points throughout the summer, come back or e-mail and tell me how it's going out there.

In the meantime ... here is something I will do. I don't know if you subscribe to Halftime magazine. In an online world, print still works for me! Anyway, here is the deal. If you subscribe to Halftime ($10!) by going through this blog, they will donate $1 to the "Saturday Night Lights Blog" gas fund.

Because I remember drum corps economics, though, there is a catch. I love the top corps ... I really do! But ... the gas fund will go to the non-top 8 corps that logs the most miles this summer. No, this is not an incentive to finish outside the coveted Masters of the Summer Music Games positions! But its a chance to help out the corps that isn't quite top tier in revenues.

So to subscribe and donate, follow this tiny link.

https://musemedia.magazinemanager.com/subscribe/subscribeOnlineMuseMedia.asp?source=SaturdayNightLights

Want to know more about Halftime? Click below!

Halftimemag.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to inject politics, but this is yet another reason why Young Folks should be voting. At every event there should be reminders to vote.

I have my own ideas about what the composition of the Senate and House should be, as well as the presidential race... but the broader picture is we have to either VOTE 'em IN or VOTE 'em OUT.

Thanks to the current administration for their short-track mind and for being less than visionaries... Hello to 70% of our OIL funding the very thing we claim to be rooting out. [deep sigh]

VOTE!!!